WanderingScribe

Feb, 2006. For the past five months I have been living in a car at the edge of woods — jobless and homeless and totally unable to find a way out. I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't scream loudly enough, but I can read and write. So here I am laying down tracks...hopefully the start of an online paper trail out of here. (Update: Miracles happen....if you are reading my story I am part of your proof.)

Friday, January 16, 2015

Rachel Weisz

I was in Cambridge this morning. It's a place I go quite often with a friend. While he returned books to the University Library I sat in the coffee shop in my favourite bookshop. It has lots of nooks and crannies and, as a single woman, it's easy to sit there alone and not feel that you are taking up a table that several people could sit at. But yesterday there were no free tables. So I sat at a large table with one other older lady sitting at it. I was happy to keep my nose in a book but she struck up a conversation with me, about the book I was reading.

It's such a small world. She used to live in almost the exact spot where I lived in London, and she turned out to be the mother of the actress Rachel Weisz. Rachel Weisz of 'The Constant Gardener', 'About a Boy' etc. fame. She was really lovely, and seemed almost surprised that I knew of her daughter, who has for years now lived in New York.  But of course I knew of her, and I saw her several times in the street in Hampstead where I lived when I first moved to London after my Law Society Finals at The College of Law. I was young and full of life then, probably the same age as Rachel, and my childhood was just that childhood, something that happened way back in the past -  as whatshisname said 'The past is another country' and  I wasn't even sending postcards back there at the time, I was too busy enjoying life.

But speaking to her today, I had been through that whole car thing and homelessness and had written the book, so the childhood issues had come to the fore again. She probably would never have guessed though. We ended up having a long chat. When we got on to books and writing and the things I wanted to do in the future I stalled, because of course I couldn't tell her about the book I had already written. Or maybe I could have done, maybe I should have... Maybe she wouldn't have looked any differently at me, wouldn't have turned away as I fear people will. Maybe now, after all this time, it's time to stop worrying about those things completely, and just be who I am - which is the friendly, respectable, approachable woman who was sitting in the cafe opposite her today, chatting about the times I had seen Rachel Weisz in Southend Green when I lived there: one memorable time standing behind her in a queue in the greengrocer, her with a summer cold and a tick black scarf wrapped multiple times around her neck, with a rosy face and glazed eyes and a nasally voice as she chatted amicably with the greengrocer, who clearly knew her; another time at Belsize Road tube station walking up and down platform in a short skirt and very high heeled shoes. It felt like two different worlds the me I was then and the me I am now since the whole car thing and then writing the book. Wished none of the latter had happened and I was just standing behind Rachel again at the greengrocer's getting an equally friendly smile from him when she left and it was my turn.

12 Comments:

At 8:06 am, Anonymous Bidisha said...

Hey anaya! i am so inspired by your story which i read bare 15 minutes ago in reader's digest! your blog seriously can be source of inspiration to anyone is facing the worst. Your story proves that God helps those who help themselves. Hope Jesus Christ continues to bless and look after you!

 
At 8:35 pm, Anonymous Jenny said...

Hi,
wrote you a really long comment yesterday and went to post it and my internet connection failed!
Typical.
Basically, you are actually amazing! Loved your book and think you are so brave to write it.
Good luck with everything, you deserve it xxx

 
At 10:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my good...your story is unreal...I now have read your book and I have no words to describe...I'm portuguese so is unlikely to be a very good English...continues to fight for everything you want because you deserve!!

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger They called her Chloe said...

I would love to meet you - there are so many questions I'd like to ask. Such as has your birth mother ever made contact with you again? I wish I lived in cambridge...

 
At 1:37 pm, Anonymous Liliana said...

Hello Anya.
My name is Liliana, and I am from Portugal.
I just read your book.
I have to congratulate him.
It is a very moving book.
Very nice ... even

Continue to write books and have great luck in life:)

The better angel is always around, never forget that.

Congratulations:)

 
At 2:19 pm, Blogger tins said...

You probably wont read this comment, but i am writing it anyway.. i read your book, if i had gone through what you went through, i would have killed myself a long time back, but they say God gives problems to people only to the extent that they can bear.Your really tough...

opinion, your mother as in Your Biological mother should have taken responsibility of you, i may have never met your family but i feel quite a hatred towards her. sorry for this

I think your an amazing person God bless you!

 
At 5:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading the book. Wow, what an amazing story. I don't know if I would have had the courage to make it through all of that. You are truly an amazing person. Once I started reading it was hard to put it down. I am so glad you made it and were able to share your story with the world. God bless and I hope you continue to find the courage to keep going. It is a shame your family was not there to give you the support you really needed but as I read they had their own troubles to try to work through as well. You were the strongest of them all. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely keep up to see you finish your dreams.

 
At 10:17 am, Blogger Sala said...

hey, no one would look at u differently and u shouldnt be worryed about it. You are an insiration. really liked your book and im not a person who reads a lot.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Anya,

I have just finished reading your book and immediately decided to look up your blog. I can't tell you how much I felt for you while I was reading and I am so absolutely delighted for you now and what you have achieved. You are amazing, so full of courage and determination.

I hope your life continues to go from strength to strength, you truly deserve all of the happiness you can get. I send you my warmest thoughts from Ireland...Thank you so much for an amazing insight into your life. Good luck to you always. Suze.

 
At 6:48 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Anya,

i just read Readers digest, the old edition Feb 08 from local bookstore near my office, they sell old books and magazine. And then, i read the article about you had to live in your car.
That was really suprise me.
I try to find your blog n then i found that you are publishing a book. i hope i can find here in Indonesia.

How about your life now Anya?
i have to pay rent too for my room (where i live, like a flat), so i have to find job that had enough income for my expensive. because i live far away from my parent and they dont have much money too to support me..

so..life it is hard..
but we must fight it.. :)

hope u are have happy n success now..

Winie
Jakarta-Indonesia

 
At 10:46 pm, Blogger Ana said...

Hi Anya!

I'm from Portugal and I had known about your story by a friend that read your book.

Well, I read the "Abandoned" and I just have to congratulate you. Who live what you had lived, survive what you had survived, is someone that we should admire. I can't imagine your suffering, and I hope that now, you're being rewarded for it.

Please, for you, me and everyone you had inspired, be happy, very happy, and don't leave that what had hapened to you, happen anymore. Just fight for it!

I'd loved your way of writting, and I hope can read one book of yours very soon.

A lot of Kisses, from Ana <3

 
At 5:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anya!
Looks like you have a lot of portuguese fans! Ans I am just one more:)

Your story really made cry and think how grateful we should be for having small things that we problably don't appreciate that much cause we never missed them

I feel so curious about your life after the book and I realy think you should try another one... you have so many fans around the world...

I hope you have all the luck in the world and please never be ashamed of what happend to u... YOU SURVIVED ANYA.... KEEP GOING

****
Carla

 

Post a Comment

<< Home